Healthy Aroostook works on prevention related to chronic disease in Central and Southern Aroostook County. Some of the prevention, intervention and disease management initiatives that the coalition is working on are:
- Reducing tobacco use and exposure to second hand smoke through police and environmental change.
- Increasing opportunities for physical activity.
- Education on improving nutrition.
- Offering and supporting opportunities for disease management such as Matter of Balance and Living classes.
- Partnering with EMS to educate people on using 911 and the importance of learning CPR.
- Education on signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke and the importance of early intervention.
- Partnering with diabetes educators to provide training on preventing and controlling diabetes.